Thursday, August 19, 2010

Thursdays are fun @ Purdue

We had a session on Purdue libraries and it was interesting to know how the concept of libraries with millions of books have turned into a bunch of databases. Being a student is often a luxury. For instance, we have access to reports that are worth some millions of Dollars. Information has so much value in the real world! I was kind of struggling to find the latest IRS (Indian readership survey) back in India. All I could get was some bits and pieces. Now its just a click of a button away! This session also had a 20 minutes session on the Capital IQ database, which, as Krannert students we have access to. And that too for free. Some of the finance freaks where like “wow!” I was like “Hey, I know someone who works there!”. Honestly, Data monitor, Capital IQ were mere “just another IT firms”, back in India. Now I’m kind of a user here. Some other fascinating things here are Online classrooms, submission of home work by uploading into a sharepoint server, and then reviewing, grading and almost everything is online here.

Classrooms are so much fun here, not just in Purdue, in all of US I believe. You can eat in the classroom, I’m Kind of carrying a cup of coffee for every class. We get free Starbucks coffee every morning! That caffeine keeps me awake in class. People do eat their lunch and breakfast during class. I’m kind of imagining those days when we had to hide a box under the table, if we had to eat in the classroom! Another cool or rather not so cool thing is that we call our professors by Name. Not so cool because I’m still struggling to do so. These guys here are like “hey John.. what was that you said just now?”.

Coming back to Thursdays, we kind of have a schedule where classes are only from Monday to Thursdays. Fridays are usually for leadership speaker series when we have guest speakers in our campus. We have pretty interesting speakers in the 1st module such as Steven Levitt, author of freakanomics, some FBI Agents who cracked down the Enron case etc. Yeah, So by Thursdays all assignment submissions and class work is over and from Friday afternoon we begin preparing for the next week. That’s the system here. Thursday nights are meant for chilling out like I mentioned about Cactus nights last time. Today, I went out to Lafayette Brewing Co., a popular pub where we get locally brewed Beers (Of course, this was a school sponsored event!). And I tell ya, these beers are nothing before Kingfisher! But I like hanging out with these American guys. I like their sense of Humor!

4 comments:

  1. Stevin Levitt, FBI Agents- cool man. And yes, I think you could have gone extra step in telling the folks about extraordinary things done at Captial IQ by a kick-ass guy :D .

    Though I have heard about the umpteen number of times about the percieved differences between what/what not students can eat, hearing it from you sounds different. I am not completely sure you are accurate with your accounts. Did you miss out any Pizzas, Burgers, Fried Chicken, hamburger..? I can't imagine you staying put with one mild coffee. Well i think eating unnoticed has a charm that just can't wear off even after 4 years, don't ya think? :)

    Now coming to your 'not-so-cool' moment, with almost 4 years in CTS, calling by name shouldn't be such a big deal? hmm..it was little strange reading that..anyways have fun..continue blogging..

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude at cognizant our managers were all pretty young that it wasn't very difficult to call them with first names, but here you are calling someone with grey hair and double phd! that's kinda not so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm dude your Coffee habit reminds me of my habit of taking a whole tumbler of tea to struggle and stay awake in the early morning maths class in my intermediate.. It was a great time and once i accidentally spilled the entire glassful tea during the class.... :)

    Calling professors by name i can understand how tough it is. Heart says respect him call him Sir and brain says have you gone mad just call him by his name like the others... the war continues.

    All in all a great habit of yours that is refreshing all sweet memories and bring in me a feeling of longing to be a student again.
    Student life ROCKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude .. I like this idea of havin food and coffee during class .. we use to eat lunch boxes in class room hiding it in the desks and go out to canteen for tea in the breaks..
    I agree with nikhil on addressing proffs by name.
    All our managers are 5-10yrs elder than us ..we dont find any difficulty .. try calling them Sir and be INDIAN

    ReplyDelete