Saturday, August 21, 2010

End of honeymoon period

It has been 3 weeks in US and I had a great time so far. I was kind of enjoying a holiday period, almost all by myself. From Monday onwards, its serious business as classes are about to begin. I’ll still keep updating my experiences in this blog.
Unite week ended with a lecture by Samuel R Allen, Chairman and CEO of John Deere. His speech was mainly about the challenges in a Globalized world and how John Deere is committed to meet the requirements of the increasing population. He also spoke about the three superpowers of the World: USA, China and India. The reason he mentioned these three countries as superpowers was the dynamism the companies in these coutries are bringing into the global market. For instance, he applauded the Tata ‘Nano’ car, that changed the pricing strategy in the auto industry. He had also mentioned about the partnership with Ashok Leyland for entry into the construction space and also about the progress of the company entering in India into the agricultural equipments market, which is the flagship business of John Deere. Later during the reception, I got to meet Sam Allen, I asked him specifically about the strategy the company used while entering Indian market, considering the challenge of small size fields owned by many farmers in India. He told me that the company has products for operation in small scale and has also come up with addressing other issues such as drift irrigation that can help small farmers grow. The idea is that when the small farmers grow and start owning big farms, they would stick to John Deere.
Monday onwards, our classes will begin and that means my schedule would be mostly to meet the pre reading requirements, assignments, case study, exams. By the way, the first mid term exam is on 9th sep. And yeah, we have to start searching for jobs for internship as well. I have to find this job in the next 3 months and I want to find a job that I’m really interested into not just ending up with any job.
Sunday, 3 pm, we have a lecture organized by the University to be presented by Khaled Hosseini, author of the book "Kite runner" and I’m pretty much excited about that!

Update on Sunday 7pm:

I attended the Khaled Hosseini’s public speech along with may be more than 5000 folks at Purdue. It was such amazing to see so many people being moved by his story and narration. He said that the main character of Kite runner “Aamir” was his alter ego. He said many things about him, as an author, that he does not make any profile of characters, rather the characters build their profile themselves as the story progresses. He also mentioned that he is more interested in bringing out the characters and their relationships in most of his writings than highlight an event or a particular situation. Probably, that’s why his writings are bit more emotional. He also said that he had actually finished the book even before visiting Afghanistan several years after his family moved to the United States. So, most of the book was written imagining how it would be if he were to visit Afghanistan. One prominent thing he told was that he would feel guilty because he has been able to live a better life while many of his countrymen were in the clutches of Soviet Union, Taliban and the US. I was just wondering how people would be living there for almost half a century when rest of the world was progressing in Industrial revolution and the IT revolution. The third wave might have never hit those shores!

1 comment:

  1. As i told you khaled is a great writer. so true about afghan. they have become their own curse and outsiders can do a little when there is so much resistance on the inside. may be they all need a thorough brain wash... but the question is are they willing to listen? i guess no. they have already convinced themselves that they are the right ones... sad very sad...

    ReplyDelete