Back in India, money was never on my mind first. Yes of course bad debts brought hell of a time when I had to think about money a lot. Before coming to US people often warned me of the conversion habit that Indians have. To spend every dollar, people convert it into Rupees and then decide. Apparently, I too have fell into the same trap. After all, my source is from India and the money first converts from rupees to dollars.
In India Rs 350 for an 8” pizza seems pretty okay kind of “Chalta hai”. But 7 dollars for the same Pizza in US seems too expensive. Well dispossession of those 7 dollars somehow brings in a sense of insecurity!
I couldn’t understand cents at all. A dime (10 cents) looks cheaper than 1 cent. While travelling to Purdue from Chicago, I wanted to buy a water bottle. I went to a vending machine and it was mentioned $1.25 for a bottle of water. In India it would take a maximum of 5 coins to make up for Re. 1.25. I had twelve coins in my hand and I kept on putting coins into the vending machine (I was running short of time, so didn’t check the value on those coins). I was surprised that despite putting in 12 coins, I was short of $1.25 by 20 cents.
Strange! I'm yet to adjust to this new currency!
I took some lessons from Raghu regarding cents. It is so odd and a pain to pay or collect change here.
ReplyDeleteGuess this is one of the many things you will have to learn and get acquainted to. :)
ReplyDeleteGood to see that you are posting regularly. Hope this continues.
Gud that we dont have to struggle with coins in INDIA :) ... Jai Hind :)
ReplyDelete