Monday, August 16, 2010

Induction to Krannert

Today was kind of the first day for our batch. This is known as “Unite week”, where we get to meet our team mates for the coming module. To introduce the system here in Krannert, we have 2 modules per semester, each running for 7 weeks. And we have to work through the module in teams. This week we will be introduced to our teams. I’m excited about that!
The first day started with photographs that we’ll have in our profiles. We had to be in business formals for this event. A first look in business formals…
IMGP3530
Its kind-a weird, considering that I’m not very comfortable in formals even without a suit. But I guess there is no other go. I got to suit-up for every occasion.
Few of the important things that I can remember from today’s events are the guest lecture by Kevin Sullivan, who served as Assistant (Communications) to George W Bush, the Alumni advise and the business ethics session by KGSA (Krannert Graduate Student Association) president Ben. Almost everyone unanimously emphasized on one thing; Building a brand for yourself. “You have to Build a brand of your own to sell yourself in the market”. Brand building is an important activity to focus on in the coming years. One of the line items in this task is to be associated with certain brands, because it speaks out the person you are. Sometimes it shows your character and virtues. And its true to an extend I see it. For instance, I prefer drinking Starbucks coffee because I appreciate the values, which forms the foundation of the company. In fact one of the first things I wanted to do in US was to go to Starbucks and experience it. One another thing I remember about branding is a statement made by one of our managers after our campus placements. He said “You have a brand known as ‘Vasavi’, now you have another brand ‘Cognizant’!, it is your responsibility to preserve them”. Well, Cognizant Brand really helped!. Now an additional Brand (read responsibility) is “Purdue”.
We had a diverse alumni panel. Paroon Chadha, an MBA grad and an Entrepreneur, John Goodrich, MBA grad, previously served in the US military as a helicopter pilot, Rebecca humphery, an MSIA grad and is pursuing her passion, working for NGOs after graduation, Koji Sado, an MBA grad and working in P&G in corporate finance and Adrien Green, an MSHRM grad working as a consultant in Deloitte. Everyone in the panel had one thing in common: They pursued what was their passion. John went on saying “I worked as a Helicopter pilot and now I’m managing operations in a helicopter manufacturing company. Every morning I’m excited to go to work”.
Ben was amazing in his oratory skills. He brought in an important aspect of team spirit through an analogy of a karabiner used in mountaineering. When a team is climbing up, every member has to double check if their karabiner is right. And not just his/hers but also of all the team members. Even if one member doesn’t fasten his, all the members in the team will fall down. Interesting analogy.
Paroon left us with telling a fact, that the more you dig into Purdue, you would learn more. For example, Purdue’s Golf course, considered the 2nd best Golf course in the country in campuses, is designed by a famous designer Pete Dye, who has designed courses for many PGA tours. I’m enrolling for the golf course next year!
One another thing emphasized today was networking, networking, networking. Paroon gave a good tip: to follow American Football, baseball, basketball etc. And I’m a Boilermaker from now on, supporting my home team…

1 comment:

  1. Dude you look funny in a suit. You like the Prime Minister of Russia! :)
    Anyways, start building a brand for yourself something as warm as a cup of Star Bucks coffee. "Pour your heart into it!"

    All the best for a rocking MBA!

    ReplyDelete