Friday, August 13, 2010

Another Welcome coffee

Okay, There is nothing much I did over the week except for the International students orientation. So, there wasn’t much to write. I’ve been covering all the malayalam movies that I didn’t get to see in the last 3-4 years, in this week. I’m all relaxing before the rough time begins. Today, there was another Welcome coffee. The gathering was pretty huge today. Seemed like the entire batch turned up, however the Chinese invasion didn’t appear any less (No offense, I’m just Kidding).
There was a senior guy who helped me in setting up my laptop. He told a lot of things about the curriculum. According to him, the major difference between undergrad and the MBA is that, during undergrad, you have to do all the stuff on your own: your course work, assignments, preparation for exams etc whereas in MBA, its a team effort. i.e one who is good at one thing does the job for his/ her team in case of an assignments. Similarly during exams, not everyone gets to study everything; you do it as a team like everyone prepares his part and help others understand. Any bells ringing (to Nikhil and Surender, if they are reading this)? This ain’t new practice!
I got to meet a few folks from my batch as well. There are people from all over America: Texas, Colorado, Alaska! and from all over the world. Honestly, until a few years back I thought there were no human settlement in Alaska! There are folks with really diverse backgrounds, from arts to commerce to languages etc. except for one set of folks who were from the companies we know a lot (Infy, CTS, TCS). In all, I believe, there are 15 folks from India this time for the MBA course.
So much has been talked about malluization (a term i coined out of globalization) that there is a popular joke in Kerala that, when Neil Armstrong landed on moon, he found a tea shop run by a mallu! Then it might not be very surprising for him that there are few mallus right in his backyard. There are four mallus in our MBA batch. One guy from Kochi, another from Thrissur (The only two places in Kerala I’m associated with, rather lived in); And there is a girl, who is a mallu brought up in Hyderabad. Strange, this world is such a small place!

2 comments:

  1. The world is indeed a very small and cramped place.
    Coming to the sharing of studies (Combined studies), it's an art we had mastered long back. I guess you will need probably a day or two to recollect the tricks of the trade and get back in the "Combined" mode. This also means that we completed our non-degree MBA long back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud that u dont have to worry abt studying evrything..over that we were already used to this kind of prep.
    I recollect a dialouge in in a Telugu movie "Where ever we go in India .. we cant avoid competition from mallus" .. This holds gud even in US.

    ReplyDelete