Thursday, March 10, 2011

La belle ville de lumières

The title reads “The beautiful city of lights”. That’s one of the many things that has impressed me about Paris in the last 6 hours. When I woke up from my sleep in the flight just before landing in Paris the areal view was amazing with all the lights glittering. While the areal view of any city for that matter looks amazing, it was different with Paris. The lights were not just the golden yellow, but had a bunch of other colors like blue, red, green etc. and was awesome. The sight was so relieving for me as I had just woke up from a jet lag and a tiring experience of being in three different countries on the same day (Germany, Spain and France). The very sight of those bright lights made me super excited about being in Paris.

It almost seemed like forever to reach Paris. First, I boarded the flight in Chicago at 4 pm and they played a beautiful movie in flight called Secretariat. By the time the movie was done we were almost about to land in Frankfurt, Germany. My watch still showed 11pm and we were reaching Germany in like 2hours. It was 6 am when we reached Frankfurt. I felt cheated like my one full night was being stolen away. I tried to catch some sleep and woke just before landing Germany. Contrary to what I expected, I got my immigration stamped at Frankfurt itself and I was shown the way to get out of the airport. I didn’t have a lot of time to explore Frankfurt so I decided to wait in the airport for my flight to Spain. My port of entry was Spain, so I had to go there before coming to Paris. So, I boarded another Lufthansa flight to Madrid and was really excited at Madrid. The weather was like 18 degrees centigrade and was bright and sunny and felt like being back in Hyderabad.

By then, I was tired of waiting in Airports, so immediately got out of the airport and went to a nearby place, explored some market and had lunch in a local restaurant. My pick of the day at Madrid is Potato Omelet. It had mashed potato and egg in it for sure. I need to try that at home. I went back to the airport at 3:30 pm as I had a flight to Paris at 5:30 pm. I reached the airport and checked in and as I was waiting for boarding I fell asleep. Woke up just before boarding began and went it to the flight only to sleep even before the boarding got completed. My flight was an hour and half late and I got to sleep through out the flight. I met Karthik at the terminal and went to his room.

We explored some night life at Paris and it was beautiful, strolling through the streets and eating out in a restaurant. The interesting thing is the restaurant got busier as the night progressed and by 3 am when we left the restaurant, it was full. No wonder they say “Citi never sleeps” [citibank’s caption]. Karthik stays in a upscale location in Paris called Norte-dame and the famous Cathedral built in 15th century is right opposite to his house. Below are some pictures:

IMG_0160

IMG_0164

IMG_0168

Loved eating outside on the street.

Lastly, this captures the essence of being in Paris with the guitar and wine and all.

IMG_0174

The picture was taken by Karthik, while writing this post, sipping in some French wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment